Safe to say we’re all well aware of what an utter headache it is when you realize you need a plumber. The nature of the job rarely comes with any kind of good news, right?
Perhaps having more insight into this business will make you less apprehensive. You’ll also be able to vet service providers, so you only employ the best.
Today we’ll discuss a very unique niche.
On occasion, things get even deeper out of hand and the presence of what is known as a mechanical plumber is required. Think of them as the older, wiser father figures in the plumbing industry.
Mechanical plumbing is a lifesaver when things get dire. Because this kind of plumbing service isn’t always required, many individuals don’t actually know what to look for when seeking out a mechanical plumber.
We’ve put together a guide on all you need to know about this sector of the plumbing world.
What Do They Do?
Forget what you know about conventional plumbing services: Those that take care of drains and blockages, faulty pipes & leaking toilets. Mechanical plumbing is worlds away from this.
What it involves is specific plumbing work within residential and commercial buildings.
The work required will usually include methods of:
- Mechanical heating
It’s known to be highly skilled, meticulous and technical in nature.
A mechanical plumber will take care of the installing, replacing, repairing or testing of any of the following:
- Hydronic heating systems
- Solid fuel heaters
- Ceiling cassette systems
- Add-on condenser units
- Space heaters
- Single head split systems
- Extraction or ventilation systems
- Ducted heating units
It’s likely that you wouldn’t be able to identify most of the devices listed above if you see them in a hardware store. When one of the items above malfunction it becomes time to call in the professionals. Mechanical plumbers see and notice & know exactly how & what to do to keep the devices functioning properly.
As you can see, mechanical plumbers’ work is nowhere near that of the plumbers we typically engage with on a daily basis. Their work is far more specialized and technologically developed.
When you do need one, it’s important that you audit the quality of the work that is going to be done. Since the list of devices above is already foreign to you, you need to trust the individual who will take care of them whole heartedly.
How do you know who to trust?
Due to the intensely skilled nature of this service there’s much regulation around who is and isn’t permitted to offer it. Mechanical plumbing regulation is monitored by quality control officials across the globe.
Get the Right Guy for the Job
There are many things to ask yourself when seeking out this kind of service. This will ensure safety, quality service and getting the job done the first time:
- What is the nature of the work that you need done and does this mechanical plumbing service offer it as a standard?
- What is the reputation of the company you have selected and does it have a history of customer satisfaction?
- Is there a guarantee on the work done and will the company offer maintenance if needed over long periods of time?
- Are the mechanical plumbers certified by the regulatory board and fully equipped to be performing the work advertised?
- Is your property safe for this kind of work to be conducted on?
The mechanical plumbing industry isn’t a saturated one and you’ll be able to compare many of the service provides against each other quite easily.
When you do find yourself in need of a mechanical plumbing service, ensure that you pick a reliable one:
- Ask to see their industry regulated documentation.
- Take a look at their history of work.
- When in real doubt, look to businesses similar to yours who have made use of the service in the past & can point you in the right direction.
Mechanical plumbing services have not always been a well known profession to any degree. You’re unlikely to have even heard of them, until you find yourself in need of one.
But now you know what to do.
Prepare the Area
Due to the nature of the work and it involving many heating & cooling processes of high-tech equipment, the environment needs to be cleared as safe before work can proceed.
In the event of big corporate spaces, the vicinity may need to be cleared of workers to ensure employee safety. This will be at the recommendation of the mechanical plumber in question. Always allow the professional to make this decision for you and follow their recommendations as best you can.
Is it worth going to all this trouble though?
There are many benefits to seeking out the work of a quality mechanical plumbing service:
- Successful running of your private or commercial property
- Longevity of the mechanical devices within your premises and less likelihood of wear and tear
- Quality controlled, regulated mechanical plumbing service that is safe to all in the vicinity
- Peace of mind knowing that the mechanics will run smoothly
Mechanical plumbers are necessary resources in the modern world. Since so much of what we do relies on the successful functioning of mechanical devices, the individuals who can keep them running could be your key to success in future.
Use this guide and partner with the best the next time your plumbing leaves you frowning.